Biotechnology and green chemistry heat exchangers
In green chemistry and biotechnology processes, various steps require the use of heat exchangers to perform the heating, cooling, condensation, evaporation, and drying unit operations.
Green chemistry, or sustainable/ecological chemistry, is based on “green” products – from plants (biomass) or animals and residues (such as animal fats) – as an alternative to fossil sources. The objective: to obtain feedstock molecules for use in making biosourced finished products, such as plastics, packaging materials, paints, resins, etc.
There are several different valuation approaches in a bio-refinery: biochemical (pretreatment, enzyme hydrolysis, Alcoholic fermentation with yeasts) or the thermochemical conversion by pyrolysis or gasification: The BTL path (biomass to liquid) with syngas production, this syngas is then converted into diesel or kerosene.
The main preparation stages in which Barriquand exchangers are used
Specially adapted to the technical and metallurgical constraints of these products, which are often corrosive or have a tendency to foul, Barriquand’s heat exchangers are present throughout all of these stages.
Each process is the object of particular technical specifications and requirements, so Barriquand is extremely careful whilst designing and dimensioning each exchanger depending on the process stage:
- Extraction, grinding
- Gasification (syngas)
A construction file and quality tracking for every exchanger
Thanks to our extensive green chemistry and biotechnology experience, Barriquand thoroughly understands the specific needs of each of its clients. Therefore, we are in a position to choose between different designs, various construction types, and distinct materials grades, according to the codes (CODAP, ASME, AD MERKBLATT, etc.) and regulations applicable depending on the country (PED, U STAMP, SELO, TÜV, etc.).
For each exchanger, a construction file is prepared in our engineering and design departments at Barriquand and ASET. Each step in its production, right up to its final reception in the plant, is validated by the quality departments under the supervision or oversight of approved organizations and designated inspectors.
Barriquand exchangers’ strengths in green chemistry and biotechnology
Thermal and hydraulic dimensioning:
- Thermal efficiency: high heat exchange coefficient
- Dimensioning with very small temperature differences between the hot and cold sides
- Low pressure drops
- Fouling and/or viscous fluids
- Desuperheating and sub-cooling
- High vacuum condensation
- Units are easy to open and clean
- Smooth, wide, “free-flow” channels, without contact points, adaptable to every fluid
- Self-draining circuit
- Small volumes
- Installation in horizontal or vertical position
- Multi-circuit construction: several utility circuits on the same exchanger
- Incondensible/liquid separation
- Numerous materials available
- Finish according to requirements (surface condition, electro-polishing, mechanical polishing, etc.)
- Free-expansion exchanger
Barriquand is committed to sustainable development
- 100% recyclable heat exchangers
- Heat exchangers manufactured in a way that respects the environment
- The cleanest welding technologies
- An optimized carbon footprint
- French made
Other Barriquand heat exchanger applications
- Exchangers on utility fluids (heating, compressor, air-conditioning, etc.)
- Exchangers on CIP (cleaning in place)
- Production of hot water
- Fuel heaters (natural gas, heavy fuel oil)
- Kettles (evaporator-condenser, heat transfer oil, superheated water, etc.)
- Heat exchangers and spare parts in stock, delivered promtly
- Maintenance everywhere in the world
- Customer service for many makes of plates and gaskets in Metropolitan France
- Custom revamping
- Your process evolves, and Barriquand is there to help
- Traceability of your heat exchanger and archiving of your technical documentation
[Case study] Reheating juice in sugar refineries: performance and energy savings
Barriquand’s exclusive Platular® welded plate heat exchanger technology is recognized for its performances and its assets in the sugar industry worldwide.
Meet us at PHARMACOSMETECH 2020
From September 15 to 17 in Chartres (France)
SEPEM SUD EST 2020
We will be at SEPEM Avignon from September 29 to October 1,2020. Visit us STAND D52.
24 & 25 March 2020
Let’s meet Barriquand team in PCH Meetings in Lyon, France!